Texas Instruments' TPS92515 devices are compact, monolithic switching regulators integrating a low-resistance N-channel MOSFET. The devices are intended for high-brightness LED lighting applications where efficiency, high bandwidth, PWM, and/or analog dimming and small size are important.
The regulator operates using a constant off-time, peak current control. The operation is simple: after an off-time based on the output voltage, an on-time begins. The on-time ends once the inductor peak current threshold is reached. The TPS92515 device can be configured to maintain a constant peak-to-peak ripple during the ON and OFF periods of a shunt FET dimming cycle. This is ideal for maintaining a linear response across the entire shunt FET dimming range.
Steady-state accuracy is aided by the inclusion of a low-offset, high-side comparator. LED current can be modulated using either analog or PWM dimming, or both simultaneously. Other features include UVLO, wide input voltage operation, inherent LED open operation, and a wide operating temperature range with thermal shut-down.
The TPS92515 and TPS92515-Q1 devices have an operational input range up to 42 V. The TPS92515HV and TPS92515HV-Q1 offer high-voltage options with an input range up to 65 V. All are available in a thermally enhanced, 10-pin HVSSOP package.
- AEC-Q100 grade 1 qualified
- Integrated 290 mΩ (typ.) internal N-channel FET
- Input voltage range:
- TPS92515x: 5.5 V to 42 V
- TPS92515HVx: 5.5 V to 65 V
- Operation down to 5.15 V after start-up
- Low offset high-side peak current comparator
- Constant average current up to 2 A
- Inherent, cycle-by-cycle current limit
- Multiple dimming methods
- 10,000:1 shunt PWM dimming range
- 1000:1 PWM dimming range
- 200:1 analog dimming range
- Simple constant off-time control
- No loop compensation
- Fast transient response
- Thermally enhanced HVSSOP package
- Integrated thermal protection